Many of our students purchase the Apple MacBook Pro as most artists and professional design agencies utilize the Mac platform which is the industries standard. Also, the MacBook Pro comes bundled with some of the software that artists and designers use. However, our network in the Art Department supports all commercially available computing platforms.
I would recommend the following minimum specifications for the MacBook Pro:
- 13″ or 15″widescreen Retina display (15″ gives more screen space while utilizing the software)
- 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (upgrading to higher Ghz is always beneficial)
- 512GB SSD storage (bigger is better over the long term but the terabyte option is pricey)
- 8 GB Memory
- Creative Cloud is the subscription-based means for accessing Adobe’s suite of creative tools. The student subscription is in the range of $20 per month for the first year to $30 per month thereafter. It entitles students to use the full Adobe Suite of products for graphic design, web, and motion graphics.
Above represents the minimum specification requirements for the modern professional designer. However, we would strongly recommend students upgrading their MacBook Pro for optimal performance and longevity. Upgrades like opting for the 15-inch display, increased storage, and increased memory will offer a superior user experience. Working in the Adobe Creative Suite often involves having multiple applications running at the same time—Increasing your laptop’s memory and graphics will allow the computer to complete more tasks simultaneously and more efficiently. Investing a bit more up-front will generally provide a computer that will remain professionally usable for a longer period of time.
A student discount can be accessed with an Ole Miss email address through the apple store.
• Get a padded backpack or carrying case for a laptop.
• Buy a locking security cable for your laptop, and use it.
• Find a good surge protector with at least a six-foot cord and eight outlets.
• Make sure your parents’ homeowner’s insurance covers a dependent’s electronics against theft or damage at college.
• Epson is the preferred brand for scanners and inkjet printers. Inkjet printers should be able to do 13×19 and full color.
• Optional Equipment: Flatbed scanner.
• Optional Equipment: A Digital Camera with the best image resolution that is affordable would be a very helpful tool.