How to Apply
There are two steps in the application process. The prospective student must apply fully to both The Department of Art & Art History and The Graduate School to be considered.
The Department of Art and Art History does NOT require the GRE for Admission
1. Please email the following items to the Graduate Coordinator, Professor Durant Thompson, in three (3) separate PDF documents:
First PDF Document
- Letter of Intent
- Please include a brief introduction, your proposed area or areas of study, the semester and year you plan to begin the program, and your goals as a graduate student.
- Artist’s Statement
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- Three (3) References
- Including name, phone, and email. These may be from academic or non-academic sources.
Second PDF Document
- 20 portfolio images of your work
- Save as one PDF document with an Image list
- PDF file size should be no larger than 10MB for the whole document.
- Image List
- Include dimensions, medium, process, and year.
Third PDF Document
- Unofficial Transcript
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and “MFA Applicant” in the email line.
2. Please send the following items to The Graduate School:
- Online Application (along with $50 application fee)
- Official Transcript
The UM Graduate School
The Graduate House
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677
Click here to estimate tuition costs.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact:
Professor of Art
Graduate Program Coordinator
The Department of Art & Art History also offers tours to prospective at students any time throughout the semester.
Contact the office to arrange a meeting or tour of our facilities.