Lab hours outside of regular class time: Monday- Friday 5:00–10:00; Sunday 12:00pm–5:00pm
The ceramics area is housed on the first floor of Meek Hall in room 127 and consists of a large indoor studio/teaching area, clay-mixing and storage area, loading dock, well-equipped glaze lab, and outdoor kiln pad. This 5,674 square foot classroom/studio space houses all facets of the ceramics area.
The main teaching room houses 20 electric wheels, large working tables, and locker space for student work. All students have storage for their work and tools with access to public shelving and rolling carts.
There are four 9 ft. x 16 ft. semi-private studios for graduate students.
The clay mixing room has two Soldner mixers with attached ventilation systems, two de-airing pug mills, and the room is equipped with its own heat and air units. A roll up door/loading dock provides easy access to delivery of materials.
The glaze lab/electric kiln area is well equipped with easy and appropriate access to sinks, spray booth, glazes and materials and a semi-enclosed structure with ventilation for the mixing of glazes.
The adjacent outdoor kiln pad houses all high-fire gas kilns in a semi-enclosed/ open-air space for ventilation.
Outdoor/open air kiln pad (1,200 sq. ft.)
- 1 up-draft gas kiln
- 1 down-draft gas car kiln
- 1 up-draft gas test kiln
- 1 salt kiln1 soda kiln
- 2 raku kilns
Teaching lab (1,570 sq. ft.)
- 20 electric wheels
- Large tables for handbuilding
- Storage and shelving for all students work
- 4 semi-private graduate studios (dimensions, 11’x16’)
Glaze lab/electric kiln room (1,249 sq. ft.)
- Houses 9 large ware carts
- 1 large Laguna spray booth with its own ventilation system
- 7 electric kilns (6 with computer controls)
- 2 tables with material bins/hood ventilation system exclusively for each table top in semi-enclosed structure.
Loading dock with clay mixing and storage (900 sq. ft.)
- 2 de-airing pug mill
- 2 Soldner clay mixers
- Ventilation unit
- Ball mill
- Brick saw
- Approximately 30 tons of raw materials