Art Merit Scholarship
The Department of Art & Art History is pleased to announce the deadline for the 2019 Art Merit Scholarship: 5 p.m. (CST), deadline is February 1st, 2020.
Details about the award:
- Art Merit scholarships are open to all high school seniors and transfer students.
- Up to $3,000 of scholarships awarded annually.
- Out-of-state students are eligible for a partial out-of-state tuition waiver.
- The scholarship is competitive and will be judged through a blind jury process consisting of faculty members in the Department of Art & Art History.
Instructions for Applying Online:
- Complete the application form and your portfolio entry here.
- Applicant’s transcript to email@example.com with the subject of the email to read: lastname_firstname_transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email to read: lastname_firstname_recommendation.
Art History Applicant Portfolio:
Writing sample (2,000-5,000 words, not including footnotes/bibliography) from a course in Art History, English, History.
Digital entries must follow these requirements:
- Saved entry as PDF or Word document with the following naming system: last_name_first_name_number.jpeg (ex:Smith_John_1.jepg)
Art Studio Applicant Portfolio:
10 samples of your best artwork. It is preferred that all images are submitted into one PDF file. Individual files will be accepted.
- Jpeg format for images, files not to exceed 5 mb in size
- Each image named: last_name_first_name_number.jpeg (ex:Smith_John_1.jpeg)
- Image List: title of work, media, and date of completion.
Ex: #1. Songs of Spring, acrylic paint, 3.2018.
The portfolio should include a range of your best work, which may include drawings, design work, paintings, ceramics, sculptures, prints, work in other media, as well as your sketchbook.
If you are unable to submit a digital entry we will accept portfolios delivered to:
Art and Art History Merit Scholarships
Department of Art & Art History
University of Mississippi
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677
To ensure consideration, mailed or hand delivered applications must arrive by February 1, 2019 by 5pm.
Hand delivered applications must arrive to Meek Hall, room 116.
We will try to handle every work with extreme care; however, the works are submitted entirely at the risk of the applicant. If you would like your work returned, you must submit a self-addressed, stamped envelope. If you bring your portfolio in person, the portfolio must be picked up between February 20-25th. Notification of awards will be announced and mailed on February 25th.
Resources for documenting your artwork:
Documenting your work can be an easy process that shouldn’t require a lot of fancy equipment. These resources will provide you with the tips and tools to make a stunning portfolio.
Virginia Museum of Fine Art- How to Shoot Art
Maryland Institute of Art, How to document 2d artwork.